UCSB LIBRARr
 
 FRONT VIEW OF PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS. 
 
 REAR VIEW OF PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS.
 
 EASTERN BLOCK (DEPARTMENTAL BUILDINGS.)
 
 LUMBER DISTRICT RIVER 8t FALLS. 
 
 CHAUDIERE FALLS IN WINTER
 
 CHAUDIERE FALLS. 
 
 SUSPENSION BRIDGE
 
 CITY HALL. 
 
 KNOX CHURCH. GRAND UNION HOTEL.
 
 CITY HALL 
 
 ELGIN 
 
 KNOX CHURCH 
 
 COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE. 
 
 NORMAL SCHOOL.
 
 RIDEAU HALL (GOVERNMENT HOUSE 
 
 -^ * -- 
 
 ':;---:* 
 
 V 
 
 UPPER FALL. LOWEft FALL. 
 
 RIDEAU FALLS IN WINTER.
 
 1111 1* 
 
 OTTAWA LADIES' COLLEGE. 
 
 OTTAWA UNIVERSITY.
 
 Z) 
 OQ 
 
 h- 
 
 Z. 
 UJ 
 
 2 
 
 < 
 
 ^ 
 
 i| 
 
 a-e" 
 
 Q ^ 
 
 -^ I 
 cfl ^
 
 t V&_6_&_SL_JL&_&. 
 
 AA3^JLft_fiJ^^_aj*__.-..fr 
 
 F 
 
 H 
 
 VIEWS 
 
 OF 
 
 OTTAWA. 
 
 PUBLISHED 
 BY 
 
 MANUFACTURING STATIONERS, BOOKSELLERS, 
 BOOKBINDERS, JOB PRINTERS ETC. 
 
 Or. Sparks and Elgin Sts. T T AWA. 
 
 1 
 
 I 
 
 Ent. ace. to act of Parliament in the year 1884, by 
 J. HOPE & CO. in the Office of the Minister of Agri- 
 culture. 

 
 THE PARLIAMENT BUILDINGS. The Main Building fronts 
 Wellington Street. To the right and left are the Departmental Buil- 
 ding's. The style is Gothic of the 12th Century. The stne of which 
 they are Imilt is a cream-colored sandstone, of the Potsdam funnatinn. 
 The dressings are of Ohio stone. The central tower which project-. 
 in front of the building, is 184 J / 2 feet in height. The body of tin- 
 building in front is 43 feet high. It covers an area of si 1.7011 >( j. 
 feet. Its length is 473 feet, and its depth from the front of the 
 tower to the rear of the library 370 feet. The main entrance is 
 under the central tower, and passing through this we enter a large 
 vestibule with stairways leading to the Chambers and offices uf the 
 Senate and the House of Commons. The Chamber is 82 feet long. 
 45 feet wide and 50 feet high, and is surrounded by galleries capable 
 of seating 1000 people. Close to the Commons Chamber are the 
 reading room, the Speaker's apartments, and the library. Leaving 
 the library by the east door, the visitor finds himself in rear of the 
 Senate Chamber. This room contains the throne, a fine statue of 
 Her Majesty, and busts of the Prince and Princess of Wales. The 
 buildings cost about 5 4,000,000. The corner stone was laid by 
 H. R. H., the Prince of Wales in 1860. 
 
 LIBRARY OF PARLIAMENT. The Library, a fine circular 
 building, 90 feet in diameter, is situated in the rear of the Parlia- 
 ment Buildings. Outside of the main room runs an aisle fine story 
 high, divided into a series of retiring rooms, and affording a quiet 
 place for study. Around the walls are hung three scries of si 
 containing about 100,000 volumes of the most valuable literature 
 in the world. In the centre of the room stands a magnificent statue 
 of the Qtieen carved from the most delicate white marble. From 
 the floor to the topmost point is a distance of about 120 feet. This 
 fine building costs about $ 350,000, and although it is very large, 
 room is to a certain extent lacking. Beneath are offices where the 
 keeper resides. 
 
 WESTERN BLOCK. This handsome block has a frontage towards 
 Wellington Street of 277 feet and towards the square of 211 feet. 
 The Public Works, the Customs, the Post Office, the Militia, the 
 Marine and Fisheries, and the Bureau of Agriculture and Railways 
 and Canals Departments and the Model Room connected with the 
 Patent Department are all located in this building. The west front 
 of this building looks towards the Chaudiere Falls and Hull and gives 
 a fine view of the Ottawa River and the distant range of hills beyond.
 
 EASTERN BLOCK. The Eastern Block is irregular in shape, 
 but of elegant design. The west front, facing the square, is 318 feet, 
 the frontage on Wellington Street is 253 feet. This building con- 
 tains the Governor Generals Office, the Privy Council Room, the 
 Minister of Justice, the Secretary of State, the Finance and Audit 
 Offices, the Registrar, the Secretary of State for the Provinces, the 
 Inland Revenue and Interior Departments. 
 
 LUMBER DISTRICT. The Lumber Mills occupy nearly every 
 available spot around the Chaudiere Falls. They are the largest 
 establishments of the kind in the world, are fitted up with the best 
 machinery and lighted by electricity. 
 
 CHAUDIERE FALLS. Much of the natural beauty and grandeur 
 of these Falls is marred by the Mills &c. which almost surround 
 them. The whole body of the water after passing through nine 
 miles of rapids suddenly contracts its channel and rushes over a fall 
 furty feet in height into a narrow chasm called the Big Kettle. 
 Close to this place exists another natural curiosity, known as the 
 Devil's Hole, a chasm into which several small streams enter, but 
 which has no visible outlet, and is supposed to connect with the 
 river below the falls by a subterranean channel. To see these falls 
 in their grandeur, they should be visited about the beginning of June. 
 In winter they present a magnificent appearance. 
 
 SUSPENSION BRIDGE. This bridge spans the Ottawa just 
 below the Chaudiere Falls. It was commenced in 1842, the design 
 being furnished by M r 8. Keefer C. E. It is 256 feet long and 
 23 1 /,, feet wide. In 1861 the wooden beams were replaced by iron 
 ones on which the stringers now rest. 
 
 POST OFFICE. The Post Office is situated on the ground inter- 
 vening between the Sapper's and Duft'erin bridges. It is two stories 
 and a half high, and built throughout of Ohio sandstone. The style 
 is classic. The outside is almost covered with Elaborate carving. 
 In the basement, which extends to the canal level, is the Customs 
 Examining Warehouse. On the first floor are the offices of the 
 Customs House, Inland Revenue, and Post Office Inspector. The 
 building is one of the handsomest in the City. 
 
 THE SAPPER'S AND DUFFERIN BRIDGES, which are situated 
 at the head of the locks, start from a single point on Rideau Street 
 and lead by two separate roadways to Sparks and Wellington Streets.
 
 They connect Upper and Lower Town. The Sapper's Bridge was 
 bnilt by the Royal Engineers in 1827, after the locks had been con- 
 structed. Dufterin Bridge was built flaring the administration >f 
 Lord Dufterin. 
 
 THE CITY HALL is situated on City Hall Square, opposite 
 the Grand Union Hotel. It has a frontage towards Elgin Street of 
 72 feet, with a depth of 125 feet. The main building consi 
 two stories and a basement. From the ground level to the cornice 
 of the roof is a height of 57 feet. The tower at the north-west 
 angle is about 130 feet high. The Mayor's office is situated on the 
 ground floor, and in the main tower provision is made for the Electric 
 Fire Alarm Staff. 
 
 KNOX CHURCH, is situated on the corner of Elgin and Albert 
 Streets, and faces the City Hall. It was erected in 1873, and has 
 a seating capacity of 1200. The design is Gothic. The tower on 
 the western side is surmounted by a fine spire 160 feet high. It 
 is built of blue limestone, with cut dressings of the same material. 
 A lofty basement runs below the entire building. 
 
 THE GRAND UNION HOTEL, which is situated on the Corner 
 of Elgin and Queen Streets has been used for a hotel over 40 year-. 
 The main Entrance is from Queen Street. It was rebuilt and ex- 
 tended in 1880. It is now one of the largest hotels in Ontario, 
 having accommodation for 250 guests. 
 
 COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE. The Collegiate Institute is situated 
 in the immediate vicinity of the Normal School and Cartier Square, 
 and faces Lisgar Street. The site is salubrious and central. It is 
 built of fine blue sandstone. 
 
 NORMAL SCHOOL. The Normal School is pleasantly situated 
 on the Corner of Elgin and Lisgar Streets. It is built of blue lime- 
 stone, and consists of a centre and two wings, the main front facing 
 Elgin Street. From wing to wing it has a width of 156 feet, with 
 a depth of 96 feet. 
 
 RIDEAU HALL. This edifice was originally built for a private ' 
 residence by the late Hon. Thomas M e Kay. In 1868 it was pur- 
 chased by the Government for a Vice-Regal residence, since which 
 time additions have been made to the building, and the grounds 
 much improved. The situation is pleasing, affording an excellent 
 view of the Parliament Buildings and city. It possesses many 
 attractions which make it the centre of life at the Capital.
 
 RIDEAU FALLS. At the eastern confine of the city, where the 
 waters of the Rideau join the Ottawa, stands the double Rideau or 
 Curtain fall, from which the river takes its name. These falls are 
 considerably higher and more graceful than the Chaudiere, though 
 not possessing the grandeur of volume. In the spring their appearance 
 is very fine. * 
 
 THE OTTAWA LADIES COLLEGE is situated on Albert Street, 
 in the western part of the city, and commands a fine view of the 
 Ottawa River and surrounding country. It is a plain building of 
 blue limestone four stories in height. It has accommodation for 
 100 boarders. Its corridors are airy, and its class rooms capacious. 
 
 THE UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA was founded in 1848 by the 
 late Rev. Dr. Guigues, O. M. J. It is under the supei'vision of the 
 Oblates of Mary Immaculate. It is situated in a healthy locality on 
 Wilbrod Street. The building is plain but spacious. An addition 
 is being built by which the present accomodation for students will 
 be about doubled. The grounds are large. The junior branch of 
 the establishment is known as St. Josep's College. 
 
 THE CATHEDRALE DE NOTRE DAME, now called the Ba- 
 silica, is the principal Roman Catholic Church of the city. It is 
 situated on Sussex Street. It is built of blue limestone, and has 
 three entrances from Sussex street, those at the sides being under 
 two towers having an altitude of 220 feet. Its interior dimensions 
 are 200 feet by 72 feet. It will easily seat 2000 persons. 
 
 THE DOMINION METHODIST CHURCH which is situated on 
 the corner of Metcalfe and Queen Streets, is one of the handsomest 
 churches in the city. It is 90 feet square, and is built of blue lime- 
 stone with fine cut dressings of the same material. It will seat 
 1500 persons. 
 
 LUMBER SLIDES. Above the Chaudiere Falls, the water is 
 boomed or dammed oft' into an artificial current, the head of which 
 is 800 yds. above the falls, and ends, after a run of nearly three 
 quarters of a mile, in thi> still waters of the river below. The slide 
 is enclosed on both sides and broken into small chutes of some four 
 feet each, with horizontal runs between them. The running of cribs 
 through these Slides is very exciting and attended with very little 
 danger. 

 
 1:I1,M II