Historical Address 
 
 DELIVERED IX THE 
 
 CONGREGATIONAL. CHURCH, 
 
 OF 
 
 NE^V CANAAN, CONN., 
 
 JULY 4th, 1876. 
 Sy ftoi. ^lxI^Xld ^t. jolni. 
 
 WITH AN APPENDIX OF VALUABLE HISTORICAL INFORMATION COMPRISING A LIST 
 OF THE TOWN CLERKS, THE SEI,ECTMEN, THE .POSTMASTERS. THE REPRE- 
 SENTATIVES, FROM THE ORGANIZATION OF THE TOWN IN J HOI. ALSO A 
 LIST OF SOLDIERS WHO SERVED IN THE WAR FOR THE UNION. AND 
 AN OBITUARY OF PROF. ST. .lOHN. RESOLUTIONS. ETC. 
 
 1876 : 
 NEW CANAAN, CONN.
 
 WM. W. GILLESPIE \- CO. 
 
 PRINTERS. 
 
 STAMFORD. CONN.
 
 PREFACE. 
 
 Sometime in the month of March last, several gen- 
 tlemen addressed the following letter to Professor St. 
 John : 
 
 Dear Sir: 
 
 The undersigned, your neighbors and friends, tirmly 
 believing there are many incidents connected with the organization 
 and history of our town and its inhabitants, that deserve to be 
 gathered up and preserved in some permanent form, and that this 
 Centennial year of om- Country's History is pre-eminently the time 
 for it to be done ; and, furthermore, that you are of all others, the 
 proper person to perform this duty, do earnestly ask you to under- 
 take the task, and deliver the same in a public address on the 4th 
 of July next, or at any other time if more convenient to yourself, 
 with a view to its publication afterwards. 
 
 Very RespectfuDy, 
 
 WATTS COMSTOCK, 
 STEPHEN HOYT, 
 EBENEZER J RICHARDS, 
 SAME. K. LOCKWOOD, 
 JAMES M. CARROLL, 
 A. S. COMSTOCK, 
 
 and others. 
 
 The above letter was first suggested by the Presi- 
 dent's proclamation which was issued previously, recom- 
 mending that some suitable history be written of each 
 town in the United States during the Centennial year.
 
 And at tlio session of the Legislature of our own 
 State, in ATay, the foHowino- resolution was adopted : 
 
 Jit'.'ioln'(f III/ (his .issciiihli/, That the jjeople of the several towns 
 in this State, be earnestly recommended to make immediate ar- 
 raii^eiiu'iits foi-. and to properly celebrate the coming" Centennial 
 Foiu'th of July in their several towns, and to take action at that 
 time in regard to the prej^aration of statistics of revolutionary and 
 Centennial HistoiT, as suggested in the Governor's Message . 
 
 Xo man nun-e truly desired that these suo-o-ostions 
 should be carried out, so far as New Canaan Ayas concern- 
 ed, than Prof. St. John, but with that modesty so char- 
 acteristic of the man, for some time he hesitated to under- 
 take the matter himself, for fear he should be interfer- 
 ing with the prerogative of some other man or men. and 
 only after the most positive assurance that no othei- 
 name but his had been suggested by anybody, and tliat 
 no other person would attempt tlie duty if he would 
 consent, he gave liis promise to com]»ly. 
 
 How well and faitldully he performed that duty, the 
 unanimous apj)r()val of the multitude Avho thronged 
 around him on the day of its deliveiy. and the contents 
 of the following pages fully attest. 
 
 It was to jiim most emphatically a labor of love : his 
 devotion to the best interests of his native town was 
 unbounded, and the manner in wliich lie has attested 
 that love during the last twenty years of his life, is 
 known and read of all men. 
 
 He has given fully and bountifuny of his best intellec- 
 tual efforts for our instruction and mental delight, he has 
 given as freely, and bountifully of his time and sub- 
 stance to pi'omote our material interests, by night and by
 
 day, in season and out of season, at the expense of life 
 and health even, he has most truly "done what he 
 (3ould.'" 
 
 It would be hard to find any man who has more truly 
 exemplified the life of Him. who while on earth, "went 
 about doing good." 
 
 May we emulate his virtues and treasure his memo- 
 ry as a sacred shrine.
 
 ADDRESS. 
 
 Fellow Citizens : 
 
 In accordance with the recommendation of our Na- 
 tional and State authorities, we are assembled to cele- 
 brate the anniversary of our Nation's birth ; and also to 
 garner up the scattered memorials of our early local 
 history. Of memorable events, few awaken a more 
 lively curiosity than the origin of communities. Whence 
 we sprung, at what period, under what circumstances, 
 and for what object, are inquiries so natural that they 
 rise almost spontaneously in our minds ; and scarcely 
 less so in the humblest than in the most exalted of so- 
 ciety. They are intimately connected with our charac- 
 ter, our hopes and our destiny. Nor is this strong pro- 
 pensity of our nature attributable to the indulgence of 
 mere personal vanity. It has a nobler origin ; it is 
 closely interwoven with that reverence and affection, 
 with which we regard our parents and the patriarchs of 
 our own times ; with that gratitude with which we follow 
 the benefactors of our race, and with that sympathy 
 which links our fate with that of past and future gener- 
 ations. Let us strive then, to gather up the fragments
 
 8 
 
 of our local history, as records or tradition liave preser- 
 ved them, and extract from remote events that instruc- 
 tion which the vicissitudes of human life is ever press- 
 ing home upon us. The toils and trials incident to in- 
 fant settlements, the slow progress of even successful 
 efforts ; the patience, fortitude and sagacity by wliich 
 obstacles are overcome, the causes which quicken oi- 
 retard their growth, these all tend to instruct the wise 
 and warn tho rash and impi'cn'ident. 
 
 Trumbull, in liis History of Connecticut. (Vol.T. page 
 115,) says that in 1640, 'Mr. Ludlow made a purchase 
 of the eastern ])art of Xorwalk :'" "Capt. Patrick 
 bought the middle part of tlie town." and tliat "' a 
 few families seem to have })lante<l themselves in the 
 town about the time of these purchases." The name 
 Norwalk is that of the Indians — " Norw^alk Indians " — 
 from whom Mr. Ludlow made the purchase, and the 
 land is described as lying between the two i-ivers, the 
 one called the Norwalk and the other the Soakatuck. 
 In pronouncing it, the "w" was probably silent, as in 
 War?<?ick. in England, at the ])resent day. and th(> old 
 people in our boyhood, retained tlie ancient ))ronnn('ia- 
 tion, "Xorruck." The first town records date Ironi 
 1658. and are coniijlctc from that time. There apjiears 
 to be no complete list of original settlers, but a "Table 
 of Estates ot" Lands and Accomodations."" in IGSo, con- 
 tains many family iianics which have still I'epresenta-
 
 9 
 
 tives among us, as Abbot, Benedict, Bowton, Fitch, 
 Hanford, Keeler. Richards, Sention, (8t. John,) Smith, 
 Taylor, etc. 
 
 The original title to the land was derived from the 
 Indians, b}^ three distinct deeds, which are given in full, 
 together with fac-similes of the marks of the Indians, 
 as their signatures, in " Hall's Ancient Historical Record 
 ofN'orwalk," published in 1847. The first deed was 
 given 26th of February. 1640, and is as follows, "An 
 agreement between the Indians of Norwalk and Roger 
 Ludlow. It is agreed that the Indians of Norwalk, for. 
 and in consideration of eight fathom of wampum, six 
 coates, tenn hatchets, tenn hoes, tenn knives, tenn 
 scissors, tenn jewes-harps, tenn fathom Tobackoe, three 
 kettles of sixe hands about, tenn looking glasses, have 
 granted all the lands, meadows, pasturings, trees, what- 
 soever there is, and grounds, between the two rivers, 
 the one called Norwalk, the other Soakatuck, to the 
 middle of said rivers, from the sea, a day's walk into 
 the country, to the said Roger Ludlow, his heirs or 
 assigns for ever — and that no Indian or other shall 
 challenge or claim any ground within the said rivers or 
 limits, nor disturb the said Roger, his heirs or assigns 
 within the precincts aforesaid. In witness whereof, the 
 parties thereunto have interchangeably sett their hands. 
 Roger Ludlow, Tomakergo, Tokaneke. Mahachemo. 
 Adam Prosewamenos."
 
 10 
 
 This deed was recorded in the hook of Deeds ot'Xor- 
 walk. ill the year 1672. A secoiul deed dated 20th of 
 A})i-il. 1040. for similar consideration of wainpimi, hatch- 
 etts, hoes, glasses, pipes, knives, drills and needles, con- 
 veyed to Daniel Patrick, the title from three Indians, 
 owners, "'the lands lying on the west side of Norwalk 
 river as far n\) in the country as an Indian can go hi a 
 day. from sun-rising to sun-setting — and for the peace- 
 able possession of wliicli Mahacemill doth promise and 
 undertake to silence all opposers of the purchase. And 
 finally, Runckingheage, and fifteen other Indians, by in- 
 denture made 15th February. IGol. conveyed to Richard 
 AVeb and thirteen others, planters of Norwalk. for the 
 use and behalfe of said town, for the consideration of 
 thirty fathom of wampum. 10 kettles. 15 coates, 10 
 payr of stockings, 10 knives, 10 hookes. 20 pipes. 10 
 muckes. 10 needles, all their lands known by the name 
 of Runckingheage, Rooaton. bounded on the east by 
 land pui'chased of Capt. Patrick, on the west by the 
 brook called Pampaskeshanke. on the north, the Moe- 
 hakes country, and on the south by the sea."" This 
 conveyance covered the site of Xew Canaan, except 
 what was derived from Stamford. Subsequently the 
 title of ('apt. Patrick of Greenwich, to the lands on 
 the west side of Norwalk river, was. on the 1st of July, 
 1650. confirmed to him by the surviving Indians, orig- 
 inal proprietors of the land. This was in consequence
 
 11 
 
 of the non-payment of part of the original considera- 
 tion, the receipt of which, in full, was now acknowl- 
 edged. On the 13th April, 1654, Mr. Roger Ludlow, 
 of Fairfield, who had made the first purchase of the 
 Indians, assigned to Nathaniel Eli and the rest of the 
 inhabitants of Xorwalk all his title, interest and claim to 
 the plantation of Norwalk and every part thereof. 
 
 The township of Stamford was purchased, July 1st, 
 1640, for the white settlers, of the Indians, for consider- 
 ations similar to those given by the proprietors of Nor- 
 walk, and embraced a tract of land, extending from the 
 Rowalton, (Five Mile River) to the Myanos, and 
 running back into the country 16 miles. This cov- 
 ered what is now Stamford. Darien, a part of New Ca- 
 naan, Poundridge, North Castle and Bedford, In this 
 tract were traces of fom- distinct tribes or clans. In the 
 west, Myano. deemed the most savage of all : farther 
 east was Wascussue. Sagamore of Shippan. and still 
 further east was Pianickin, the Sagamore of Roaton, 
 who was also one of the grantors to the Norwalk pur- 
 chasers. North of these was Ponus, Sagamore of To- 
 quams, who had received from his ancestors the wooded 
 hills and vales stretching far away to the northward 
 until they merge in the forests, which even the red 
 men did not claim. Stamford was called Rippowam, 
 and the harbor Toq nam. Still later, about 1700, these 
 grants of land to the English were confirmed in an in-
 
 12 
 
 strument attested by fifteen Indians' signatures. The 
 Stamford Tn<lians seem, however, to have caused consider- 
 able annoyance and anxiety to the white settlers, in' con- 
 sequence, probably, of the provocations offered the Indi- 
 ans by the Dutch traders, wlio resided not far west of 
 Stamford. The Norwalk Indians appear to have been 
 remiss in laying out the northern bounds of their con- 
 veyance, twelve miles from the sea, and required some 
 additional stimulus, by way of proffer of four addition- 
 al coats when tliat should have been performed. A 
 considerable nuni])er of Indians continued to reside in 
 Norwalk, and were subject to the town authorities, ex- 
 hibiting the characteristic lack of indus'try and thrift 
 belonging to the race, but neither the records nor tra- 
 dition impute to them any savage conduct. Rev. Mr. 
 lianlbiil. the first minister of Norwalk, appears to have 
 evoked the kindly regards of at Iwist one of their nuni- 
 ])ei'. for in 1G90, "Winnipauk." Indian Sagamore of 
 Xoi'Widk. conveyed by deed, liis • Island lying against 
 Kowerlon." <'ontaining twenty acres which he affirms 
 he liad never bv deed of gift or snle made over to any, 
 ■ but now by this my deed, I do give it fi'eely to my 
 belove(l friend Thomas Hanford. senior minister of Nor- 
 walk, to possess and improve, to him and his heirs for 
 ever." 
 
 At the time of the earliest settlements in what is now 
 New Canaan, the Indians had almost entirely disap-
 
 13 
 
 peared from this part of the country. In the burying 
 ground near to the old meeting-house were two graves 
 marked by phiin headstones, which tradition assigned 
 to Indians. These, together with the ''Indian Rocks," 
 (nearly two miles nortliof us,) in which are excavations 
 used by the tribes for pounding their corn, are the only 
 relics — (so far as I can learn) of the forest races who 
 once dwelt here. Tliey have perished. The small-pox 
 desolated whole tribes of them in New England, but a 
 mightier power, a moral contagion, which the toucli of 
 the white man seems to communicate, has betrayed them 
 into a lingering ruin. The feeble remnants of these pow- 
 erful tribes driven beyond the Mississippi, are crossing 
 tlie flanks of the Rocky Mountains. They have but one 
 more remove to make, that is to the burial-place of their 
 race. It is a consolation to us to know, that our imme- 
 diate ancestors did not forcibly displace the Indians, but 
 respecting their claim to the soil, purchased the lands, 
 for what was then considered an adequate consideration. 
 The settlement of Stamford by the English was be- 
 gun in ] (j40. by a company of men who had become 
 dissatisfied with their circumstances at Wethersfield, 
 Ct., and by advice of Rev. Mr. Davenport, obtained 
 from the New Haven Colony the tract of land (before 
 described) lying west of Norwalk, which the Colony 
 through their agent, Capt. Nathaniel Turner, had just 
 purchased from the Indians. The list of pioneers at
 
 14 
 
 tlie end of l(»l'2 einbracos 50 names, heads of families, 
 amoni:- wliich we recognize several which were repre- 
 sented hy the early settlers of Xew Canaan. In the 
 first company of 28. who came to Stamford, we find 
 "Matthew Mitchell. ■■ the ancestor of Rev. Justus 
 Mitchell, who was pastor of the Cono-regational C'hiuch 
 in New Canaan, from 1783 to his death in 1806. 
 
 The Stamford settlement was under the jurisdiction 
 of the Xew Haven Colony, whose Capital was New Ha- 
 ven where their General Court, or Legislature, was 
 held, and to which Stamford sent Representatives. 
 This Colony was a rival of the Connecticut Colony 
 whose capital was Hartford. The people of Stamford 
 were dissatisfied with the New Haven government from 
 an early period, and continued to have dissensions among 
 themselves respecting the two Jurisdictions, but in 1044 
 the New Haven Colony submitted, accepted the Char- 
 ter, and acknowledged the supremacy of the Connecti- 
 cut government. There appears to have been at one 
 time, a serious difference between the people of Stam- 
 ford and Norwalk respecting the town boundary at Five 
 Mile River, due })robably to vagueness in the convey- 
 ance of the Indian Pianickin. In the town meeting at 
 Norwalk. August 26. 1666, it was voted and agreed, 
 " that such men of our inhabitants as do go to cut hay on 
 the other side. Five Mile River, the town will stand by 
 them in the action to (hd'cnd them and to bear an equal
 
 15 
 
 proportion of the damage they shall sustain on that 
 account ; and if they shall be affronted by Stamford men 
 the town will take as speedy a course as they can to 
 prosecute them by law, to recover their just rights 
 touching their lands in controversy : and also they 
 have chosen and deputed Mr. Thomas Fitch to go with 
 the said men, when they go to cut or fetch away, to 
 make answer for and in behalf of the town and the rest 
 to be silent." Two years later they directed their Rep- 
 resentatives in the Legislature to endeavor to have 
 their differences settled and to notify the Stamford 
 people of their intentions. This does not appear to 
 have been successful. But in June 1670, the town of 
 Norwalk "voted and agreed that Mr. Fitch and Lieut. 
 Omstead and Daniel Kellogg, are chosen a committee 
 to go to Stamford to treat with the inhabitants there, to 
 see if they and we can come to a loving and neighborly 
 issue and agreement about the division of bounds be- 
 twixt them and us, and the said com.mittee is to make 
 these propositions to the men of Stamford, either to 
 divide betwixt Five Mile River and Pine Brook, that is 
 to say, in the middle between both, or else to divide 
 in the middle between Saketuk river and the bouiuls 
 between Stamford and Greenwich." 
 
 The earliest settlers were prone to seek their resi- 
 dences along the coasts, hence Norwalk and Stamford 
 sites along the Sound shore were first taken up. As
 
 populalion iiicri^is(Ml and uv\x lioinrs were to ho luado. 
 the soUlers naturally tbllowod the water courses pre- 
 sentino- the more sheltered and aeressible situations. 
 Hence from Xorwalk. the settlements were along the 
 slopes on either si(h' of the Kowalton or Five Mile 
 Rivei-. parallel to the course taken by the settlers of 
 Wilton and Kiducfield along the Xorwalk river. Among 
 the eai'liest huilt houses in New Canaan, were a cluster 
 on •' Clapboard Hills."* One of those is still standing, the 
 residence of Mr. .lames Tournier. Two others in that 
 innnetliate vicinity have been destroyed by hre within 
 the recollection of many of us. At Canoe-hill also woe 
 several (^f th*^ older houses. Following more closely the 
 western slope of the river, a cluster of houses was built 
 on the upper part of Haines' Ridge, among which were 
 the old residences of Col. Enoch St. John. Elnathaii Lock- 
 wood. Mr. Moses Comstock. Mr. I'l-iah Reed, and Mr. 
 Aaron Comstock. Three of these have been demolish- 
 ed, one so remodeled as not to appear like an old house, 
 while one remains essentially unchanged in aspect. 
 
 The settlers from Stamford, followed similarly the 
 course of the Xoroton river, as also, still farther west, 
 that of ^rill River. A single style of architecture was 
 almost nnivei'sal. not only here, hut throughout New 
 Eno-land. in those davs. The house was of two stories 
 in front, presenting two eligible chambers, while the
 
 • ^ IT 
 
 rear roof sloped oft' to the height of seven or eight feet 
 from the ground. A massive stone chimney was in tlie 
 center, with its huge fire-place, admitting back-logs and 
 fore-sticks four feet long, and still furnishiiig warming 
 room within its jambs for all the children. Here was 
 the* ponderous crane with its assortment of trammels of 
 varying lengths for pots and kettles, the iron andirons, 
 tongs and peel with its handle four feet long, termina- 
 ting in a large hemispherical knob ; (this was used 
 for cleaning out the coals from the brick oven which 
 occupied a part of the deep recesses of the old chinniey :) 
 the spider, the skillett, the griddle ; all over the open 
 fire. No prosaic, economical cooking-stove or rans-e 
 had yet made its appearance. The rooms of these old 
 time houses were ranged around the chimney. The 
 keeping room and parlor, on either side, in front, the 
 latter with its beaufet displaying the glittering pew- 
 ter plates and platters, and a slender assortment of china 
 cups and saucei-s ; the kitchen in the rear — with bed 
 rooms on either side — the hall in front, with winding 
 stairs leading to chambers above ; these all communi- 
 cated by doors, so that on festal occasions, in families 
 moulded not according to the strictest sect of the Puritans, 
 this arrangement furnished ample scope for merry games 
 and dancing. But I must leave the garret, with its fes- 
 toons of dried apples and peaches, its bunches of bone- 
 set, may- weed and other medicinal herbs, its revolu-
 
 18 
 
 tionary guns, bayonets and swords, lo the tender recol- 
 lections of the more mature, and the hvely imagination 
 of the younger of my auditors or history will he saeri- 
 liced to topograi)hy and domestic economy. 
 
 To return to our settlers of New Canaan, whom we 
 have traced to their abodes liere : they had gradually 
 spread through the valleys and over the ridges, and in- 
 creased to such a degree, that they felt the want of some 
 organization for the development of their social and 
 })ubli(' relations. This led to the incorporation of " Ca- 
 naan Parish "" The first notice of it on the Stamford 
 Records, is dated December 8th. 1730, when 'John 
 Bouton and others, ask libei-ty of moving out of town, 
 to join with a })art of Nor walk in order to ])e a socie- 
 ty.'" The town voted in the negative. Still, the next 
 year, we find the town of Stamford appointing John 
 Bouton and Ebenezer Seelye. tything men, for the new 
 Societv and designating theii- field of service Canaan 
 parish. Two years after, "the town agree that there 
 shall be a committee chosen to agree with those men that 
 have land lying where it may be thought needful for a 
 highway for the conveniency of Canaan parish to go to 
 meeting. " Of the twenty-foiu' members constituting 
 the first church, eleven were from Stamford, and two 
 of these. John Bouton and Thomas Talmadge were its 
 first deacons. . There seems to have been no objection 
 to the ni'W parish on the ])art of Xorwalk. April 3d.
 
 19 
 
 1732, the proprietors " by major vote, grant to the In- 
 habitants of Canaan parish all the common land where 
 their meeting-house standeth." The parish was incor- 
 porated by the Legislature in 1731. The first Society's 
 meeting was held July 1st. 1731, and" the record of 
 their acts is complete, in legible handwriting and in 
 good preservation. The next year there were forty- 
 seven members, thirty on the Norwalk and seventeen 
 on the Stamford side. The first question discussed by 
 them, was the expediency of building a meeting-house 
 for the public worship of Grod. Decided in the affirm- 
 ative, twenty-four to one. They were unable to agree 
 upon the place where the building should be erected — 
 and they appointed a suitable person to represent them 
 in the general court to be held in October, to request 
 the Hon. Assembly to appoint a committee to fix a 
 place for the house. It w^as decided that the house 
 should be built at the lower end of Haines' Ridge, the 
 house to ])e thirty feet square, and of a height suitable 
 for one tier of galleries. A building committee was ap- 
 pointed who were either to let out the w^ork. " by the 
 great,'' or hire men by the day. They levied a tax of 
 ten pence on the pound in the List. Then follows a 
 list of members with their assessments. In February 
 1732, the}^ appointed a Committee to make application 
 to the Rev. Elders of the county for advice and direc- 
 tion in order to the calling and settlement of a minister.
 
 20 
 
 ^riiev wore directed tu Pvev.dohii T'ell.^. of'Milford. who 
 preached among them nine months on })rol)ati()n. and 
 ill June, 1733, was settled among them as then- niiiiis- 
 ter, residing on Clapboard Hills. After this time, the 
 Society's meetings were devoted to such business as de- 
 volves upon it at tlie present day. with several items 
 wliich are now managed by the town, such as taking 
 charge of the scliools. laying out highways, etc. Then* 
 meetings were connnonly "warned to be held at "'siui 
 two hours liigli at night." Clocks and watches were 
 probably not common, and we find an appropriation of 
 two shillings-nine pence to buy an liour-glass. At this 
 time, all inhabitants of the parisli were members, and 
 -were taxed for its support : it is not strange that some 
 should have been restive and sought release. One 
 member petitioned the legislature to that effect, but 
 met there a committee from the Society, who success- 
 fully opposed the petition. Tliey assessed themselves 
 as higli as nineteen jicnce on the pouml and collected 
 it by "stress." if necessary. The building of the meet- 
 ing-houst' was a severe draught on their slender re- 
 sources. As the expenses of the Society were defrayed 
 by tax, the seats were common property, but the Socie- 
 ty was accustomed to "seat the meeting house." as it 
 \vas termed, according to " rate and dignity." By vote, 
 they gave Rev. Mi\ Eells the seat next to the pulpit, 
 on the woman's side. Similar seating of the meeting
 
 21 
 
 houses, appear in the records of Stamford and Norwalk. 
 It was the custom to appoint some person to "set the 
 psalm." And in 1739 they voted to "sing by rule, or 
 that which is called the new luay in the congregation." 
 Huntington says, "this change from the old to the new 
 way of singing had been introduced in 1721. The 
 eight or nine tunes brought over by the pioneers " had 
 become barbarously perverted," and the Rev. Thomas 
 Walter, of Roxbury, Mass., composer, in that year pub- 
 lished, " The Grounds and Rules of Music Explained, or 
 an Introduction to the Art of Singing by Note." The 
 book contained twenty-four tunes harmonized in three 
 parts. 
 
 After six years " experience " (as it was termed) with 
 Mr. Eells, some began to be dissatisGed, and in 1740. 
 the Society appointed a committee to acquaint Mr. Eells 
 and see if he would give his consent to have a vote 
 tried to see who is easy and who is uneasy, with him. 
 The test showed twenty-four uneasy. In 1741, Mr. 
 Eells, was dismissed. Tradition assigns to him, ability, 
 learning and piety, together with certain eccentricities 
 deemed inconsistent in a minister of the Gospel. He 
 continued to reside here until his death, in 1785. The 
 Society proceeded promptly to fill his place. The Rev. 
 Robert Silliman was ordained February, 1742. During 
 his ministry, there was such increase in the Congrega- 
 tion as to require an addition to the meeting-house,
 
 09 
 
 eleven I'eot on each end and twelve feet on tlie sontli 
 side. Tliey also built a ;^ociety house north of tlie 
 meeting-house twenty-one by sixteen feet, with seven 
 foot posts. This was probably to accommodate those 
 who came to meeting from a distance, and w^as furnish- 
 ed with a fire-place, where they might spend the time 
 between services, the meeting house being without any 
 device for heating. In 1750, the Society resolves to 
 build a new meeting-house fifty feet by forty, with one 
 tier of galleries and turret (belfty.) This structure was 
 so far advanced as to be deemed fit for use in 1752, 
 thoufirh the sralleries Avere not made until 1787. In 
 '97, the turret was completed and the first bell obtained, 
 which was to be rung, not only on the Sabbath, but 
 also at nine o'clock every evening except Saturday. 
 The new house was built a short distance north of the 
 old one and about 150 feet south east of the present 
 buildins:. For ninetv vears it was in constant use as a 
 place of worship. Every Sabbath, Thanksgiving and Fast 
 day its courts were well filled with devout worshippers, 
 and by many of us now assembled in this, its comely 
 successor, the memory of the old meeting-house will 
 ever be hallowed. It was built in the style quite com- 
 mon in that day, precisely like the one then in Stam- 
 ford, except that the latter had a spire that rose from 
 the ground. Opening the double doors, on the south 
 side, we entered an area of small square pews, whose
 
 MLl}^ -\ 
 
 THE OLD CONCiKEUATIONAL MEETING HOUSE, ERECTED IT.VJ
 
 23 
 
 floors were elevated about eight inches above the floor 
 of the central portion of the room. This latter was at 
 first filled with slips on each side of the center or broad 
 aisle, leading up to the pulpit. A narrow aisle passed 
 cjuite around these slips furnishing access to the pews 
 which occupied the entire walls except where the doors, 
 on the east, the south and the west sides ; the stairs 
 leading to the galleries at the corners, and the pulpit at 
 the center of the north side occupied the space. The 
 slips in the center were afterwards, (in 1808) converted 
 into square pews. The galleries were deep, filled with 
 square pews along the south wall, and elsewhere with 
 the long slips. The choir was ranged along the front 
 and sometimes extended nearly the entire length of the 
 galleries, the base on the west, the treble on the east 
 and the tenor or "'counter," with the leader on the 
 south. The pulpit was an hexagonal structure, placed 
 upon a pillar, about eight feet above the floor, and 
 reached by a flight of stairs, was neatly finished and 
 painted white ; above it was suspended a canopy or 
 sounding-board, hexagonal in shape, about seven feet 
 above the floor of the pulpit, with a screw at the top of 
 the iron rod supporting it, so that its height might be 
 adjusted to the proper distance for reflection of the 
 sound. The arrangement was indeed stiff and awk- 
 ward, and was often severely criticized. I remember 
 hearing one clergyman — a man of large size — remark.
 
 24 
 
 tliat lie would ;is soon livt into a liouslicail aii<l ])r('acli 
 from tlie Ituuii,-. Tlie (leacon's seat was (Jircctly l)t'ii('atli 
 the puljtit. aeeess to it being- lia<l tlii'ouoh the minis- 
 ter's pew. To resume the history of the parisli : when 
 their minister, Mr. SilHman, had served them a quarter 
 of a century, some iineasiness began to manifest itself. 
 A vote in April 1768. showed 46 " easy " and 37 " un- 
 easy "" with him — but not h)nu- after they voted 24 to 
 15 that thev wouUl emph)y Mr. SiHiman no longer. 
 Mr. Silliman app(^aled to the Greneral Assembly at Hart- 
 ford, and the Society appeared there by their represen- 
 tative. The Legislature sent a eommittee to see how 
 peace could be restored, who advised Mr. Silliman to 
 ask for a dimissal, and in June 1772, he was dismissed. 
 In the succeeding winter, Mr. William Drummond, born 
 and educated in Scotland, was settled as minister. He 
 remained five years, and was succeeded by Rev. Justus 
 Mitchell, who by his scholarship and devotion to his 
 calling and to the cause of education, secured tlie |)ros- 
 perity of the entire community, and gave the parish a 
 desirable fame throughout the state. A spirit of toler- 
 ation manifested itself, and the Records show many in- 
 stances of the release of persons, who preferred other 
 modes of worship, from their responsibilities to this 
 Society. The pews were rented to defray expenses and 
 relieve from taxation. Mr. Mitchell died in 1806, and 
 was buried by his sorr(nving congregation, on the brow^
 
 26 
 
 of the hill in front of us, and many will remember his 
 grave, enclosed with a jjicket fence and overhung by a 
 w^eeping willow. 
 
 We have now come to the period when a more com- 
 plete separation of civil and ecclesiastical matters was 
 made. The Town of New Canaan was incorporated in 
 1801, occupying the same territory over which "Canaan 
 parish " had held jurisdiction. The Congregational 
 Society henceforth devoted itself solely to the care of 
 the temporal affiiirs of the Church with which it was con- 
 nected, while the town managed the schools, the high- 
 ways and similar matters. Briefly to complete the his- 
 tory of this Society. After Mr. Mitchell's death, the 
 Rev. William Bonney was settled here from 1 808 to 
 1831, was succeeded by Rev. Theophilus Smith. Dur- 
 his minist-ry the present edifice was built, and it was 
 dedicated in 1843. Mr. Smith died in 1853, after a 
 ministry of 22 years. The successive ministers were : 
 
 Rev. Frederick G. Williams, from 1854 to 1859. 
 
 Rev. Ralph Smith, from 1860 to 1863. 
 
 Rev. Benjamin L. Swan, from 1864 to 1866. 
 
 The present pastor, Rev. Joseph Greenleaf, was set- 
 tled in March 1871. 
 
 The frame of the first Episcopal Church in Canaan, 
 was raised May 13, 1762, on land obtained from Mr. 
 Husted, about three-quarters of a mile northwest from 
 the present Church edifice. There had been a discussion
 
 26 
 
 respecting its location on or adjoininti- the Parade 
 ground. The Ijuildiner was soon rendered fit for use, 
 l»ut was not completed for man}- 3^ears, and for that 
 reason probably was never consecrated. At this time, 
 the Church people here, were accustomed to attend ser- 
 vice at Norwalk and Stamford, and the rates which 
 were collected of Churchmen in this parish, were paid 
 over to the rectors of those churches. In 1791, they 
 organized themselves into a distinct parish. From that 
 time, there have been regular records kept. The first 
 wardens were Stephen Belts and Dunlap Coggshall, and 
 there were thirty-four heads of families who considered 
 themselves as belonging to the Church and contributed 
 to its support. Services were held about one-fifth of 
 the Sabbaths, but the Church languished until the pro- 
 ject was conceived and executed of building a new 
 church edifice nearer the village. The lot whereon the 
 present building stands was purchased of ^fr. Richard 
 Fayerweather. The building committee were Samuel 
 Raymond, Edward Nash, David S. Knight. The building 
 was finished and consecrated. May 6, 1834. The 
 old one had been taken down the year before. At 
 this time the Rev. Charles Todd was rector, dividing 
 his time equally between this Church and tlie one in 
 Ridorefield. He resigned his charo-e in 1835. an<l was 
 followed by R^v. Jacob L. Clark, who also had tho care 
 of both churches. After his resignation in 1837, Rev.
 
 27 
 
 David Ogden was called to give his undivided attention 
 to this Church. In 1842 ill-health compelled him to 
 give up his parish, and he died in 1845. The succeed- 
 ing rectors were : 
 
 Rev. William Everett, from 1845 to 1846. 
 
 Rev. Dr. Short, from 1846 to 1852. 
 
 Rev. William Long, from 1852 to 1855. 
 
 Rev. William H. Williams, from 1855 to 1858. 
 
 Rev. William Cook, from 1858 to 1863. 
 
 Rev. William A. DesBrisay, from 1864 to 1874. 
 
 The present rector. Rev. Isaac W. Hallam, began his 
 services at Easter, 1875. The church edifice was re- 
 modeled and the spire erected during the pastorate of 
 Rev. William H. Williams, and re-opened. May, 1858. 
 In the winter of 1873-4, the interior was frescoed and 
 two windows placed in the Chancel. The Sunday 
 School was organized in 1853 under the superinten- 
 dence of Miss Esther Belts. 
 
 The first mention of Methodist preaching in this town 
 is found in a book by Rev. William C. Hoyt, of Stam- 
 ford, wherein is recorded a Methodist sermon preached 
 in the parish of Canaan by Rev. Cornelius Cook, 
 in the year 1787. From 1816 until 1833, New Canaan 
 formed a part of the Stamford circuit (which is the old- 
 est in New England.) Services were held at the house 
 of Holly Seymour, in White Oak Shade District, and 
 frequently at the residence of Capt. Crofut in Silver
 
 Mine. The iirst Methodist preaching in the village was 
 in the Town Hall then standing near the Episcopal 
 Church and since converted into the present Congre- 
 gational parsonage. In October 1833, the first Metho- 
 dist house of worship, which is the present Town Hall, 
 was dedicated. From 1833 to 1836. New Canaan was 
 united to Xorwalk in a circuit under the pastorate of 
 two ministers. These were : 
 
 1833, Rev. Klijah Hibbard, Rev. Abram S. Francis. 
 
 1834, Rev. Luther Mead, Rev. Abram S. Francis. 
 
 1835, Rev. David Stocking, Rev. John Crawford. 
 
 In 1836. New Canaan was set oft' by itself, as a sta- 
 tion under the pastorate of a single minister. This de- 
 nomination of Christians has made, within the recollec- 
 tion of most of us, rapid progress, endeavoring faith- 
 fully to do the work of a true church of the Lord Jesus 
 Christ. The present house was dedicated in 1854. 
 Dec. 21st. The following are the successive pastors of 
 the Methodist Church and their terms of service : 
 
 Revs. J. Crawford, 1836: Clark Fuller. 1837: S. 
 W. King, 1838-9 : J. W. Selleck, 1840-1 : Chas. F. 
 Pelton. 1842: Jesse Hunt. 1843: Jas.»H. Romer, 
 1844-5 : A. H. Ferguson. 1846-7 : J. D. Marshall. 
 1848-9 ; Jacob Shaw. 1850-1 ; L. D. Nickerson, 
 1852-3 ; Harvey Husted, 1854-5 ; Mark Staple. 1856- 
 7 : J. L. Cxilder, 1858-9 ; C. B. Ford. 1860-1 ; A. H. 
 Mead, 1862 ; \Vm. T. Hill. 1863 : J. M. Carroll. 1864-
 
 29 
 
 5-6 : Wm. F. Collins, 1867 : S. M. Hammoiul 1868-9- 
 70 ; B. T. Abbott, 1871-2-3 : I. M. OaiToll, 1874-5-6. 
 
 The first person in New Canaan professing faith in 
 Christ, through baptism by immersion, was baptized by 
 Rev. John Gano of New York City, in the year 1772. 
 Soon after as Elder .Gano was baptizing in Stamford, 
 where a Baptist Church was organized in 1773. Baptist 
 meetings were held in New Canaan, and have been 
 held at varjdng intervals to the present time. The re- 
 cords of the Canaan parish have several votes exempt- 
 ing Baptists from paying society rates so long as they 
 remain of the persuasion. Nov. 4, 1871, the First Bap- 
 tist Society of New Canaan was incorporated. Their 
 house of worship was opened February 6th. 1773 ; the 
 service of recognition being held in that liouse the 13th 
 day of March following. Their pastor is the Bev. Eben 
 S. Raymond. 
 
 Universalist preaching began in the town in 1832. 
 Mr. Hillyer, and aftei'wards Mr. Hitchcock officiating. 
 During the last five years Rev. J. H. Shepard has 
 preached here semi-monthly. They have no separate 
 
 « 
 
 organization. 
 
 Services according to the Roman Catholic forms of 
 worship were first held here in a hall in the village, 
 subsequently in the Town Hall. Their church was 
 built in 1863. Clergymen from Norwalk. principally
 
 30 
 
 Fathers Mulligan niul Smitli. have ministered to those 
 of this faith. 
 
 The patriotism of New (^maan citizens has hecn well 
 attested in the three wars in which our country has 
 been engaged. In the war of the Revolution, however, 
 they appear as citizens of Xorwalk and Stamford and 
 share their glorious record. Our soil has never been 
 invaded by a foreign foe. Xorwalk was twice burned, 
 and some of our friends shared the catastrophe, but the 
 British troops when on theii" expedition to desti'oy the 
 military stores at Danbury, passed eastward of us, both 
 on their approach, and return to their boats at Compo 
 Bay, eastof Norwalk, and thence to their head-quarters 
 on Long Island. Some of our immediate ancestors 
 were at Middlesex (now Darien.) on Sunday, July 22d. 
 1781. when an unarmed worshipping congregation, were 
 in the most dastardly way seized and subjected to in- 
 dignity. The leaders in that sacreligious foray were 
 from among the tories of the town, and their deprecia- 
 tions and captures were practiced upon theii- ibrnuM- 
 neighbors and friends. During the night preceding 
 they had crossed the Sound from Lloyd's Neck, and se- 
 creted themselves in a swam}) a few rods south of the 
 meeting house, awaiting the ixathering of the congrega- 
 tion for their usual worship. The service had begun. 
 Dr. Mather was in the pul})it which he had occupied 
 for forty years, and it was und()ul)tedly his earnest pat-
 
 31 
 
 riotism, and that of some members of his church, which 
 liad led to this attiick. Its object was to capture that 
 fearless preacher and the leaders of his people. Sud- 
 denly the house was surrounded and the summons to 
 surrender was issued in the well-known voice of their 
 neighbor, Capt Frost. Now commenced in earnest the 
 work of tory revenge. With derisive jeers, the vener- 
 able pastor was called down from the pulpit to lead his 
 congregation in a very different service. 
 
 The men of the congregation wei-e drawn up two and 
 two in marching order and tied arm to arm. The pastor 
 was ordered to the front to lead the march. The val- 
 uable articles found on both men and women were 
 stripped from them. Every horse needed for the inva- 
 ding band was taken, and the women and children con- 
 signed to the care of the rear-guard, until the captors 
 with their prisoners and spoil should be well under 
 .way. Forty-eight men were thus hurried away to the 
 boats, and thence taken over to Long Island. Twenty- 
 four were released to return home on parole. The re- 
 mainder were taken on board of a brig and confined 
 below decks. They were thus conveyed to the Provost 
 Prison, N. Y. City, where they suffered every possible 
 indignity. Here they were kept until the following 
 December, when those who survived were exchanged. 
 
 In the war witli Great Britain in 1812-15, a few of 
 our citizens were in tlie service, but engaged in no battle.
 
 32 
 
 But in the last wnr-^-the war to maintain the Union 
 and preserve the country, whose Centenary we this day 
 celebrate. New Canaan citizens cheerfully entered the 
 Cnion armies, leaving the pursuits of peaceful life to 
 engage in the multitudinous l)attles of the greatest 
 civil war in history. Some of these fell on distant 
 fields. With others, life languished away in hospital or 
 prison. The remains of some rest in our own cemete- 
 ries — while the happy survivors witness this day the 
 glory of the nation they aided in the time of its dire 
 necessity — the (xovernment, whose stability and per- 
 petuity they have helped to secure. 
 
 Among the early settlers of Xew Canaan were very 
 few men of literary culture. Neither the tempestuous 
 times which had engrossed their earliest attention, nor 
 their slender pecuniary resources had allowed them 
 the advantages of any scholastic training. But the New 
 England Fathers, (and our pioneers were among them.) 
 saw that the only way to establish here, and perpetuate 
 a Society which could satisfy their hopes, would be by 
 means of a careful, thorough and general education of 
 their children. The fundamental laws of the Colony 
 required, under severe penalties, every town to provide 
 means for the early instruction of their childi-en. The 
 statute reads : '' The Selectmen of every town shall 
 have a vigilant eye over their brethren and neighbors, 
 to see, first, that none of them shall suffer so much bar-
 
 33 
 
 barisra in any of their families, as not to endeavor to 
 teach, by themselves or others, their children and ap- 
 prentices, so nmcli learning as may enable them per- 
 fectly to read the English tongue and knowledge of the 
 capital laws, upon penalty of twenty shillings for each 
 neglect therein." It was still further provided, that ' 
 "every town having fifty houseliolders in it should, 
 forthwith, appoint one within the town to teach all such 
 children as shall resoi-t to him, to write and read, 
 whose wages shall be paid either by the parents or mas- 
 ters of such children, or by the inhabitants in general." 
 Among the earliest functions discharged by Canaan 
 parish, is the appointment of seliool committees. 
 Where the first school-house was built and when, cannot 
 now be ascertained. It was doul)tless like their first 
 meeting-house, exceedingly plain with no needless 
 room in it. and no useless expensive adorning. At tiiis 
 day we can have no adequate concejjtion of the extreme 
 difficulty attending those early educational measures, 
 but their influence on succeeding generations has been 
 incalculable. For a more extended education, than 
 that furnished by the common, or. as it is now tei'med. 
 district school, no provision was made for many 
 years. Rev. Justus Mitchell, who was settled in the 
 ministry here in 1783, kept a select school during a 
 considerable time. Eight young men from Xew Canaan, 
 and a large number from other places were fitted for col-
 
 34 
 
 lege with him. l''Hphalot ^^^t. John, Esq., who graduated 
 at Yale College in 1701. devoted himself to teaching at 
 his residence on Brushy Ridge, and though the school 
 consisted mainly of young men from New York fitting 
 themselves for business, still some citizens of New Ca- 
 naan and adjoining towns, availed themselves of tlie 
 advantages oftliis seliool. The New Canaan Academy 
 was established in 1815. and the building erected in 
 ISIG. The teachers were, successively : 
 
 Rev. Herman Daggett ; Rev. James H. Linsley ; 
 Rev. John Smith : Dr. Samuel W. Belden ; Rev. Dr. 
 Milton Badger : Rev. Theophilus Smith ; Hon. David 
 L. Seymour ; Pres. Julian M. Sturtevant ; Rev. Dr. 
 Flavel Bascom : Rev. Dr. Alfred Newton ; Rev. John 
 C. Hart : Rev. Wm. B. Lewis ; Prof. Ebenezer A. 
 Johnson. 
 
 This Academy, about 1834. was converted into a pri- 
 vate boarding school, and was owned and taught suc- 
 cessively by Messrs. Silas Davenport, David S. Rock- 
 well and Rev. J. L. Gilder. The Academy was revived 
 in 1859, taught by Rev. J. C. Wyckoflf. for several 
 years, afterwards by Mr. Thomas Pease, and was bro- 
 ken up during the last year of the civil war. Twenty- 
 five persons have graduated at Yale College from this 
 town, a majority of whom, would have not enjoyed 
 the privilege of a collegiate education had not the 
 Academv enabled tliem to fit tliemselves here. Besides
 
 35 
 
 these graduates a much larger number of young men 
 were fitted for busuiess. Young ladies also enjoyed 
 in the Academy the advantages of a thorough course 
 of study. It ranked second only to tlie churches in el- 
 evating the standard of moral and intellectual cul- 
 ture in the town. 
 
 The occupations of the early inhabitants of New Ca- 
 naan were purely agricultural, with artizans enough 
 barely to supply their own wants. The tailors and 
 mantua-makers and even shoe-makers were accustomed 
 to circulate through the town semi-annually making up 
 the requisite wardrobes of the families. The farmers 
 were exceedingly patient, hard working men ; their 
 farms required clearing not only of trees and bushes, 
 but of the numerous stones, which in this diluvial soil, 
 almost covered the face of the earth. To dispose of 
 these stones, they built walls enclosing small fields. 
 They raised wheat, (until the Hessian fly destroyed 
 that crop) rye, corn, oats and potatoes. Timothy or 
 herds-grass was introduced at a comparatively late 
 period. Their hay consisted of the harsh low meadow- 
 grass, and the natural grasses of the uplands near their 
 barns. The great problem with them was, how to win- 
 ter their stock. They supplemented their slender sup- 
 ply of hay with cornstalks and husks and oat-straw. 
 Their cattle in the spring were emaciated and many of 
 them died of "horn distemper,'' which generally meant
 
 3(3 
 
 "starvation." Tlio old wooden i)loui;li was a rough, 
 heavy, chnnsy iiistnuiieiit and 1 reinein])er hearing dis- 
 cussions among the workmen on the probabiUty of the 
 inti-oduction of an iron j)lough whieh was then in use, 
 in the west of tliat ihiy. (tliat is Central and Western 
 New York.) 1 rejoiee in h.aving Hved to see the toils 
 of the husbandman relieved by the steel plough, the 
 tooth harrow, the horse rake, the mower and reaper 
 and other machines, which not only lighten labor, but 
 make it more efficient, Noi- will we forget the spin- 
 ning jennies, power-looms and sewing-machines which 
 relieve the women of the present day from that inces- 
 sant hard labor, which in the case of their grandmothers 
 together with the inevitable care of the household, 
 crushed their physical energies, and suppressed every 
 rising aspiration for intellectual and a'sthetic culture. 
 Let the sj)inning-wheels large and small go to grace the 
 elegant parlors of New York, and 1 would that they 
 were gifted with speech, to })ortray the scenes of unre- 
 pining toil enacted at their sides in days gone by — and 
 perhaps gentlemen might proht by a plough or Hail of 
 the olden time in their offices. 
 
 J^ut there came a time when the enterpi-ise of New 
 Canaan was turned in the direction of maiudacturing 
 bootsand shoes. The town was dotted over with little 
 shops and ranked among the foremost in that manufac- 
 ture. 1 have not been able* to obtain anv reliable sta-
 
 37 
 
 tistics of this business when it was most extensive. 
 Niles' Register giving an account of the town in 1818, 
 states that 50,000 pairs were annually sent out. 
 
 At this day we have no conception of the difficulties 
 connected with travel in the early period of our history. 
 For many years, all travel was on foot or horseback, 
 and the introduction of pleasure carriages dates within 
 the present century. When persons wished to go to 
 New York City they resorted to the sloops from Five 
 Mile River, or Rings' End landings. A daily mail 
 stage route from Boston on the turnpike, passing 
 through Norwalk and Stamford, was established in 1 818. 
 In 1825 the steamboat " Oliver Wolcott," began run- 
 ning from Stamford to New York, down on one day 
 and returning the next. During the summer of that 
 year a four-horse stage coach came from Ridgefield to 
 Stamford, through this town — and soon after travel to 
 the city was by steamboat from Norwalk touching at 
 Stamford, Greenwich and New Rochelle. Early in 
 1849, the New York and New Haven Railroad was 
 completed and the great marvel accomplished of three 
 trains daily ^ the whole way and back again. When 
 the Danbury Railroad was in contemplation a route 
 was surveyed through New Canaan, but our citizens 
 were either indiflerent or distinctly opposed to it. Af- 
 ter a time, however, it was perceived that the only way 
 to save our town from insignificance and business ex-
 
 38 
 
 tinction was to build a Railroad connecting with the 
 Xew Haven Road and tide water communication for 
 heavy freight. The New Canaan R. R. was opened 
 July -Ith. 18GS, and if it has not accomplished all that 
 its earnest advocates expected of it, it lias had a deter- 
 mining influence in shaping the futui'e of the town. A 
 post-office with a weekly mail was established in 1817, 
 afterwards two mails a week, the mail being carried on 
 horseback to Stamford, which was then a distributing 
 office. Diu'ing. the past 13 3ears two mails daily have 
 been distributed from the office here. A telegraph line 
 was established in 1860, which is still working. 
 
 The New Canaan Savings Rank was oi'ganized in 
 1859. Samuel 'A. Weed, President, until '63 ; Watts 
 Comstock, President, from "63 to 72 ; Stephen Hoyt, 
 from "72 to present time. 
 
 The First National Rank, of New Canaan, was or- 
 ganized in 1865. Watts Comstock was President from 
 the date of organization until his death, when Stephen 
 Hoyt was elected to fdl the vacancy. 
 
 Probably few of my auditors have ever reflected up- 
 on the fact, that we have had slaves in New Canaan, 
 until within a few years. Very many families here in 
 the last century, had one or more slaves, and when the 
 State passed its Emancipation Act, it exempted only 
 those born after a certain date, leaving the othei's still 
 in slavery, So far as I can learn, thev were not sub-
 
 39 
 
 jected to any harsher usage than if they had been free, 
 still that their bones and sinews were not their own, 
 must have been galling to the slightest spark of sensi- 
 bility. The Whipping-post and Stocks, we are happy 
 to say, have passed away forever. The whipping-post 
 stood at the angle of the road south-east of us. (a few 
 feet north of the present lamp post) — and in my boy- 
 hood I witnessed the whipping of two men for petty 
 thieving. The physical infliction was trifling, but the 
 moral degradation was truly pitiable. The post remain- 
 ed there many j^ears but its name was changed to sign- 
 post. Public notices were posted upon it. 
 
 I must not omit to notice the two great festivals — 
 Training Day and Thanksgiving — the former deriving 
 from the still lingering spirit of the Revolution a de- 
 cidedly martial character. The first Mondays of May 
 and September were by statute training days, and every 
 able-bodied man of a certain age was required to appear 
 for inspection and drill. At 10 o'clock they assembled 
 on the " parade ground" which was an open field given 
 to the town for this purpose. The commanding officer 
 sent his compliments to the minister, with a request 
 that he would favor them with his presence, which he 
 did, and opened the exercises with prayer. Soon after 
 they adjourned for dinner. There were two companies, 
 one uniformed, called the grenadiers, the other the 
 militia. The music was fife and drum, and when after
 
 40 
 
 wondrous evolutions, they marched down tlie ridge to 
 the meeting-house hill, the martial ardor of the boys 
 was at boiling point. The Thanksgivings were much 
 like those of the present day except that the House of 
 God was well-filled, and the Thanksgiving anthem fell 
 upon enchanted ears. The public exercises began with 
 the reading of the Governor's proclamation. (It had 
 been read two successive Sundays before.) It was an 
 awe inspiring document, especially as it closed with the 
 ominous injunction : " All servile laboi' and vain recre- 
 ation, are, on said day, by law forbidden.*' After the 
 service the reunited families gathered round tables 
 loaded with a bewildering multiplicity of dishes, among 
 which roast turkey and pumpkin pie held their long- 
 established pre-eminence. There amid representatives 
 of three or perhaps four generations, this family festival 
 held high carnival. Long may it keep its power to re- 
 call the sons and daughters of New England to the old 
 homesteads. 
 
 While we review our past history and recollect what 
 we have been, and what we are, the duties of this day 
 were but ill-performed if we stopped here ; if turning 
 from the past, and entering on a new century of our 
 political existence we gave no heed to the voice of ex- 
 perience and dwelt not, with thougiits of earnest solici- 
 tude on the future. Let us search the history of our 
 forefathers, for those principles which enabled them to
 
 41 
 
 establish our prosperity on its present basis — discerning 
 their errors as well as their merits — not always doing 
 as they did, but as we know from their principles they 
 would have us do, in our circumstances so widely diff- 
 ering from theirs. Among the prominent features of 
 their truest glory is that system of public instruction, 
 which they instituted by law, and to which New Eng- 
 land owes more of its character and its prosperity than 
 to all other causes. If this system be not altogether with- 
 out example in the history of other nations, it is still an 
 extraordinary instance of wise legislation and worthy of 
 the most profound statesman of any age, and this was 
 done by them when they had just made their first 
 lodgement in the wilderness, when they had scarcely 
 found leisure to build comfortable homes for themselves. 
 This system has never thus far been broken in upon. 
 Under its benign influence our youth have grown up. 
 It has taught them the first great lesson of human im- 
 provement, that knowledge is power — and made the 
 last great lesson of human experience felt, that without 
 virtue there is neither happiness nor safety. Never let 
 this glorious institution be abandoned or betrayed 
 by the weakness of its friends, or the power of its ad- 
 versaries. Let us cherish our history. It is a great 
 and distinctive advantage that we have behind us the be- 
 ginning and growth of an orderly history. Let us hon- 
 or our fathers' memory by preserving and exemplifying
 
 42 
 
 their principles. We who are now assembled here 
 gathering up the influences of this occasion, must soon 
 be numbered with the congregation of other days. The 
 time of our departiu'e is at hand to make way for our 
 successors in the theatre of life. It may be that our pos- 
 terity will assemble here to review their past. Shall it 
 be amid joy or sorrow ? The answer is in part left to 
 us. May he, who, at the distance of another centu- 
 ry, shall stand here to celebrate this day, still look 
 around upon a free, happy and virtuous people ; and 
 may the God of our fathers give us grace so to admin- 
 ister the trust committed to us, that our record shall 
 enable the historian to rank us with them, as having 
 been faithful to the principles which they established. 
 
 [Dr. St. John could scarcely have chosen more fitting- 
 words with which to close his address, had he known 
 that they were to be the last of his public utterance. 
 At the request of his townsmen, he had prepared this 
 brief historical record of his native place, and although 
 the necessary work of reading and searching authorities 
 was much greater than would seem probable, he took 
 much pleasure in it, so keen was his interest in every 
 thing concerning the subject. His reading of the pa- 
 per, on the Fourth of July, was his final service to the 
 friends and fellow-citizens with whom his sympathies 
 were so close, his interests so united. But two short 
 months, and the "time of his departure'' came. Could 
 he have spoken a farewell to the audience, which gave
 
 43 
 
 him such kindly, sympathetic hearing on that day, it 
 must still have been such words, as yet linger in their 
 memories, reminding them that "knowledge is pow- 
 er ;" that " without virtue there is neither safety nor 
 happiness," and that relying upon Divine help, they 
 should ever live faithful to right principles and true 
 deeds.]
 
 APPKNDIX. 
 
 TOWN CLERKS OF NEW CANAAN. 
 
 Samuel St. John, June 31st, 1801, continued to 1824. 
 
 Edward Nash, January 1826. Continued to 1835. 
 
 Joseph Sillinian, April 1835, 1836, 1837, 1838, 1839. 
 
 Samuel C. Silliman, Jr., 1840, 1841, 1843, 1844, 1845, 1846, 1847, 
 1849, 1850, 1851, 1852. 
 
 David S. RockweU, 1842. 
 
 John B. Lambert, 1848, resigned in Feb. 1849, and Samuel C. 
 Silliman, Jr., appointed in his place. 
 
 Lucius M. Monroe, 1854, 1855. 
 
 Noah W. Hoyt, 1856, 1857, 1858, 1865, 1866, 1867, 1868, 1869, 
 1870, 1771, 1872, resigned March 4th 1873, and S. Y. St. John ap- 
 pointed. 
 
 SeUeck Y. St. John, 1859, 1860, 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1873, 
 1874, 1875. 
 
 Augustus S. Dann, 1876. 
 
 TOWN TREASURERS OF NEW CANAAN, 
 
 Samuel St. John, June 1801. Continued to 1825. 
 
 Isaac Richards, January, 1825. 
 
 Stephen Hoyt, Jr., 1826, continued to 1839. 
 
 Charles Raymond, 1840, continued to 1852, except the year 1845. 
 
 Wm. E. Raymond, 1845. 
 
 Benjamin Hoyt, 1853, continued to 1875. 
 
 Auofustus S. Dann, 1876.
 
 4(5 
 
 NEW CANAAN INCORPORATED AT THE MAY SESSION 
 
 1801. 
 
 REPRESENTATIVES TO THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY. 
 
 Oct. 1801, Joseph Silliman. Oct. 1808, Joseph Silliman. 
 
 May 1802, " " May 1809, Samuel St. John. 
 
 Oct. 18U2, " " Oct. 1809, 
 
 May 1803, " " May 1 8 1 0, Joseph Silliman. 
 
 Oct. 1803, " " Oct. 1810, Samuel St. John. 
 
 May 1804, " " May 1811, ," 
 
 Oct. 1804, " " Oct. 1811, 
 
 May 1805, " " May 1812, 
 
 Oct.' 1805, " " Oct. 1812, 
 
 May 1806, " " May 1813, 
 
 Oct. 1806, Isaac Richards. Oct. 1813, 
 
 May 1807, " " May 1814, 
 
 Oct. 1807, , " " Oct. 1814, 
 
 May 1808, Joseph SiUiman. 
 
 A special session was called by the Governor. John Cotton 
 Smith, on the 4:th Wednesday of January 1815, to consider a mem- 
 orial from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont and Rhode 
 Island to protect the j^etitioners against improper legislation by 
 Congress. Delegate to the Convention, Samiiel St. John. 
 
 May 1815. Samuel St. John. May 1817, Nathan Seely. 
 
 Oct. 1815, " " Oct. 1817, 
 
 May 1816, " " May 1818, 
 
 Oct 1816. " " Oct. 1818. 
 
 A Constitutional Convention was held in 181 8, which discontin 
 ued the October Session of the General Assembly. Delegate to 
 the Convention, Nathan Seelv.
 
 47 
 
 May 1819, Isaac Eicliards. 
 
 1820, Nathan Seely. 
 
 1821, Stephen Hojt. 
 
 1822, Samuel Eaymond. 
 1823, 
 1821, 
 1825, 
 1826, 
 1827, 
 1828, 
 
 1829, Watts Comstock. 
 
 1830, Samuel Raymond. 
 1831, 
 
 1832, 
 1833, 
 
 1834, Edward Nash. 
 
 1835, Joseph SiUimau. 
 
 1836, Stephen Hoyt, Jr. 
 
 1837, Samuel Raymond. 
 
 1838, Watts Comstock. 
 1839, 
 
 1840, Stephen Hoyt, Jr. 
 
 1841, Samuel Raymond. 
 
 1842, No choice. 
 
 1843, " 
 
 1844, " 
 
 1845, " 
 
 1846, Hanford Carter. 
 1847, 
 
 Constitution am3nded making 
 
 Jan. 1877, WiUiam E. Husted. 
 
 May 1848, Burhng D. Purdy. 
 
 1849, Timothy E. Raymond. 
 
 1850, Joseph SiUiman. 
 
 1851, George Gearheart. 
 
 1852, Carlisle Lockwood. 
 
 1853, Samuel K. Lockwood. 
 
 1854, Benjamin N. Heath. 
 
 1855, Samuel K. Lockwood. 
 
 1856, Benjamin Hoyt. 
 
 1857, Noah W. Ho;)'t, 
 
 1858, " 
 
 1859, Wm. E. Raymond. 
 
 1860, Benjamin N. Heath. 
 1861, 
 
 1862, Benjamin Hoyt. 
 
 1863, Ebenezer J. Richards. 
 
 1864, Stephen H. Pardee. 
 
 1865, ApoUos Comstock. 
 
 1866, Caleb S. Benedict. 
 
 1867, Charles Raymond. 
 
 1868, Ebenezer J. Richards. 
 
 1869, Francis L. Aiken, 
 
 1870, Mark Staples. 
 
 1871, " 
 
 1872, Caleb S. Benedict. 
 
 1873, Bm-hng D. Purdy. 
 
 1874, " 
 
 1875, Justus F. Hoyt. 
 
 1876, Burhng D. Purdy. 
 January Session.
 
 48 
 
 NEW CANAAN POSTMASTERS. 
 
 Post Office DEPAR'niENT, 
 Appointmexi" Office, 
 Washington, D. C. Jily 5th, 1870. 
 iV. ir IToiit. Esq.. P. M.. Xeic Canaan, Ct. 
 Sm: 
 
 In compliance with the request contained in your note of the 
 30th of June, I take pleasure in lui'nishing you with the date of the 
 establishment of the Post Office at New Canaan, and also the names 
 and date of appointment of the several Postmasters up to the pres- 
 ent time, to wit : 
 
 Office at New Canaan, established Jan. lllth 1818. 
 
 Samuel St. John, appointed Postmaster, Jan. 19th, 1818. 
 
 Edward Nash, " " Jan. 2oth, 1825. 
 
 Erastus Seely, " " Mar. 8th, 1833. 
 
 Thomas S. Husted, " " Nov. 23d, 1833. 
 
 Charles Raymond, " " Mar. 26th, 1839. 
 
 Thomas S. Husted, " " July 3d, 1841. 
 
 Charles Raymond, " " Sept. 4th, 1844. 
 
 Benjamin Hoyt, " " Dec. 12th, 1849. 
 
 Sam'l C. Silliman, Jr " " June 23d, 1853. 
 
 Henry B. Hoyt, " " Sept. 3d, 1853. 
 
 Noah W. Hoyt, " " Apr. 26th, 1861. 
 
 Stephen H. Pardee,* " " Aug. 24th, 1866. 
 
 Noah W. Hoyt, " " Mar. 22d, 1869. 
 
 Noah AV. Hoyt, Re-appointed, Dec 11th, 1872. 
 Who is the present incumbent. 
 
 The foregoing embraces the entire history of the office, as found 
 on the books of the Department, and which is believed to be cor- 
 rect. I am sir, respectfully. Your ob't serv't, 
 
 ja:mes h. marr. 
 
 Acting First Ass't. P. M. General. 
 
 •Mr. Pardee was appointed Postmaster by President Johnson, but never 
 entered npon the duties of the oflBce.
 
 49 
 
 LIST OF SOLDIERS WHO SERVED IN THE WAR FOR 
 THE UNION. 
 
 FIRST REGIMENT HEAVY ARTILLERY, C. V. 
 
 Francis M. Jennings, mustered out. 
 
 John Walsh, mustered out. 
 
 Alfred Howard, deserted. 
 
 Warren S. Palmer, mustered out. 
 
 Albin J. B. Sims, mustered out. 
 
 Patrick Welch, deserted, Augu.st 10th, 18G5. 
 
 SECOND CONNECTICUT ARTILLERY, 
 
 John J. Abbott, died of wounds. 
 
 Chauncey E. Brown, mustered out. 
 
 George W. Brown, wounded, died. 
 
 Enos S. Benedict, wounded. 
 
 Orange S. Brown, wounded, Feb. 6, 1865. 
 
 Thomas Milnes, mustered out. 
 
 Erastus Ruscoe, wounded, mustered out. 
 
 Charles Ruscoe, mustered out. 
 
 Frederick D. Painter, killed. 
 
 Samuel B. Ferris, killed. 
 
 WiUiam B. Shaw, mustered out. 
 
 THIRD REGIMENT, C. V. 
 
 Charles A. Seymour. 
 Charles Doulens. 
 Edward D. Arnold. 
 Peter Bennett. 
 John T. Fancher. 
 Charles Hunnewell. 
 Charles H. Harting. 
 Enos Kellogg. 
 William H. Laire. 
 Henry Marrs. 
 WiUiam H. Offen. 
 George Sherwood. 
 George J. Stevens.
 
 50 
 
 "NVilliam H. Seeley, 
 "Walter H. AVoneil. 
 Robert Wilson. 
 
 FIRST REGIMENT CAVALRY. 
 
 "Weston Ferris. 
 George Youngs. 
 George Weed. 
 
 FIFTH REGniEKT INFANTRY. C. V. 
 
 Lewis Slauson, discharged. 
 Isaac Vailein, re-enlisted veteran. 
 Henry Heaton. killed. 
 
 SIXTH REGIMENT INFANTRY. 
 
 Shevelose Arnold, mustered out. 
 
 Andrew P. Bai-tow, discharged. 
 
 John ^lertins. mustered out. 
 
 Joseph Jones, died. 
 
 John Seely, died. 
 
 Edward M. Hariiug, killed. 
 
 Samuel Bouton, mvistered out. 
 
 ^Matthew !Murphy. mustered out. 
 
 Alanson Monroe, wounded, mustered out. 
 
 John Wagner, mustered out. 
 
 SE^■ENTH REGIMENT INFANTRY. 
 
 John H. Bishop, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 Robeii; L. Keith, mustered out. 
 Frederick Reel, mustered out. 
 Watson Goodwell, mustered oxit. 
 
 EIGHTH REGIMENT INFANTRY. 
 
 James Conly, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Robert N. Hoy, mustered out. 
 
 Herbert Vivian, deserted, substitute. 
 
 Barney Connor, transferred to V. S. N. 
 
 Aaron G. Sherwood, discharged. 
 
 William M. Sloan, discharged. 
 
 Samuel A. Weed, transferred to invalid eorpa
 
 51 
 
 William King;, substitute, deserted. 
 
 TENTH REGIMENT INFANTRY. C. V. 
 
 Charles H. Hardino-, mustered out. 
 
 George W. Smith, 1st. Lieut, resigned. 
 
 Bradley S. Keith, mustered out. 
 
 Jolin M. 1 Benedict, deserted. 
 
 Oliver L. Ayres, discharged, disablity. 
 
 Frederick Banzhaf, discharged, term expired. 
 
 John Barber, discharged, term expired. 
 
 Samuel R. Barker, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out, 
 
 James W. Benedict, mustered out. 
 
 Isaac Bowe, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Alfred L. Brower, died. 
 
 John J. Brown, discharged, 
 
 Joseph M. Brown, died. 
 
 Eli Burchard, died. 
 
 George W. Burtis, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 John Buxton, discharged. 
 
 John Darrah, discharged. 
 
 Edgar Davis, term exj^ired. 
 
 Robert Dunn, died. 
 
 John Hagle, re-enhsted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Patrick Hannaberg, term expired. 
 
 Charles L. James, discharged. 
 
 Andrew F. Jones, re-enlisted veteran, wounded, mustered out. 
 
 George Kellogg, discharged. 
 
 Alfred Kellogg, re-enlisted veteran, died Oct. 1864. 
 
 Sidney R. Lounsbuiy, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Albert M. Mahoney, re-enlisted vet., wounded, mustered out. 
 
 John MePherson, re-enh.sted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 George Muii^hy, term exjjired. 
 
 Bernard Murphy, discharged. 
 
 WilUam H. Oflfen, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Henry F. Pennoyer, term expired. 
 
 Samuel S. Rubey, discharged, Dee. 18, 1861. 
 
 George Scott, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 John E. Seeley, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out.
 
 52 
 
 "William P. Smallhom, term expired. 
 
 Orrin H. Stephens, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Marcus Smith, discharged. 
 
 Christal "Wagner, re-cnUsted veteran, died. 
 
 Andrew "Wakeman, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Charles "SVeed, discharged, Dec. 19, 18G1. 
 
 "Wm. A. "Wood, 2d, captured, mustered out. 
 
 Leonard W. Fancher, discharged 1865. 
 
 Isaac L. Tucker, mustered out. 
 
 Henry Tucker, mustered out. 
 
 Joseph E. Wells, discharged 18G5. , 
 
 Walter H. VVorrell, mustered out. 
 
 George Johnson, 2d, substitute, deserted. 
 
 John Wilson, substitute, mustered out. 
 
 ELEVENTH REGIMENT. BECRUTTS. 
 
 Charles Fisher, substitute, mustered out. 
 John Harris, substitute, mustered out. 
 Peter O'Brien, wounded, discharged. 
 
 TWELFTH REGIMENT. 
 
 Alonzo p. Abbott, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out 
 
 George .Alden, 
 
 James J. Everson, " " " 
 
 Joseph H. Everett, 
 
 Patrick Furmen, discharged, disability. 
 
 John Welsh, re-enhsted veteran, mustered out, 
 
 Patrick Fitzpatrick, discharged. 
 
 George Howard, substitute mustered out. 
 
 THIRTEENTH REGIMENT. 
 
 Apollos Comstock, Capt., wounded, mustered out. 
 
 Wm. E. Bradley, 1st. Lieut., honorably discharged. 
 
 Jonathan Austin, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Aaron Benedict, died. 
 
 John W. Brown, wounded, discharged 18G5, 
 
 Eli Dann, discharged. 
 
 "Wilber F. Gilder, discharged.
 
 53 
 
 William W. Jones, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Edward A. Lapman, discharged. 
 
 Edwin Monroe, term expired. 
 
 William H. Monroe, discharged. 
 
 Charles Nichols, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 William H. Seele}', discharged. 
 
 Francis E. Weed, re-enlisted veteran, mustered out. 
 
 Israel Wood, discharged. 
 
 Linus Wood, discharged. 
 
 FOURTEENTH REGIMENT. 
 
 Jean Paul, sub. mustered July 'Ibth, deserted Aug. 14th, 1804. 
 John Stevens, substitute, transferred. 
 Charles J. Hanford, substitute, died. 
 Andon Menke, substitute, deserted. 
 
 SEVENTEENTH REGIMENT. 
 
 Elias Buttery, died. 
 
 James L. Dyer, discharged, disability. 
 
 G-eorge F. Olmsted, mustered out. 
 
 Joseph H. Lockwood, mustered out. 
 
 Andrew Scofield, mustered out. 
 
 Hezekiah Wood, mustered out, 
 
 Patrick Norton, mustered out. 
 
 Sylvester Albin, mustered out. 
 
 Rufus S. Benedict, mustered out. 
 
 -Tesse W. Tucker, mustered out. 
 
 Enos Kellogg, Capt. mustered out. 
 
 J. Irvmg Benedict. 1st Lieut. ^ resigned. 
 
 James H. A\Tes, 2d, Lieut., mustered out. 
 
 Francis M. Bliss, Sergeant, resigned. 
 
 Isaac N. Crissey, woimded, transferred to Invalid Corps. 
 
 Warren S. Palmer, discharged, disabihty. 
 
 Samuel Comstock, died, 
 
 Peter Bennett, discharged, disability. 
 
 George J. Stevens, mustered out. 
 
 Levi St. John Weed, mustered out. 
 
 Joseph F. Seeley, discharged, disability. 
 
 Norbei*t Bossa, mustered out.
 
 54 
 
 Isaac B. Brown, mustered out. 
 Charles^A. Weed, died. 
 
 Miles O. Jones, transfered veteran reserve corps. 
 James L. Hodges, mustered out, 
 Da-snd M. Avery, wounded, mustered out. 
 Jolm Acker, mustered out. 
 \V illiam L. Brown, discharged, disability. 
 Andrew B. Benedict, mustered out. 
 John George Banzliof, mustered out. 
 Robert Bishop, discliarged, disabihty. 
 Loiin W. Britto, mustered out. 
 John L. B\-ington, discharged. 
 Le-svis B . Benedict, discharged, disabihty. 
 Frank Britto, discharged, disabihty. 
 William C. Bell, mustered out. 
 David C. Conistock, .Ir., discharged. 
 Andrew Crabb, mustered out. 
 Stephen Comstock, mustered out. 
 Lyman W. Crabb, mustered out. 
 Levi Dixon, discharged, disability. 
 William H. DeFoirest, discharged, disability, 
 Thomas Driscoll, discharged, disability. 
 Samuel E. DeForrest, mustered out. 
 Maxim'n DeFisheur, discharged, disability. 
 Christian Faber, mustered out. 
 Samuel W. Fox, mustered out. 
 John Greenewald, mustered out. 
 Augustus (lanning, discharged, disabihiy. 
 Samuel Gray, mustered out. 
 Oirin Harrison, mustered out. 
 John S. Haas, mustered out. 
 WiUiam Hariung, died. 
 John Kaiser, mustered out. 
 Ehphalet ^lead, killed. 
 Alanson F. Monroe, discharged, disability. 
 Orson C. Ogden, discharged, disabihty. 
 Samuel S. Osborn, discharged, disability-.
 
 55 
 
 Christopher S. Olmstead, died. 
 
 Henry Peatt, discharged, disability. 
 
 George H. Potts, discharged, disability. 
 
 Ebenezer J. Pattenden, mustered out. 
 
 George Patterson, died. 
 
 George E. Purdy, mustered out. 
 
 Seth Remington, mustered out. 
 
 John W. Raymond, discharged, disability. 
 
 Arza Raymond, mustered out. 
 
 CyiTis Raymond, mustered out. 
 
 C. Edward Raymond, discharged, disability. 
 
 Edward Richards, died. 
 
 DeWitt C. Ruscoe, mustered out. 
 
 Lewis Randle, died. 
 
 Chauncey Raymond, discharged, disability. 
 
 Floyd S. Ruscoe, mustered out. 
 
 Justus M. SiUiman, mustered out. 
 
 Charles E. Seely, mustered out. 
 
 James A. Smallhorn, mustered out. 
 
 George H. Wood, died. 
 
 Francis Weinberg, mustered out. 
 
 William Wilson, mustered out. 
 
 Martin W^assing, discharged, disability. 
 
 Squire A. Waterbury, discharged, disabihty. 
 
 George E. Waterbury, transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps. 
 
 Harry Waterbury, mustered out. 
 
 George W. Weed, mustered out. 
 
 Charles L. Bartow, mustered out. 
 
 John Birdsall, died. 
 
 Charles Crofoot, mustered out. 
 
 William S. Fitch, mustered out. 
 
 Patrick Innis, mustered out. 
 
 Charles Vitenheimer, mustered out. 
 
 William Wright. 
 
 TWENTY-EIGHTH REGIMENT. 
 
 Joseph C. Cronk, mustered out.
 
 56 
 
 TWENTY-XrNTH REGIMENT 
 
 Joseph Thomsou, mustered out. 
 Joseph Adams, mustered out. 
 Daniel Wakeman, discharged, disabihty. 
 Nelson R. Copes, mustered out. 
 George "\V. Thomson, mustered out. 
 William Jeflerson, mustered out. 
 Perry Wilhams, mustered out. 
 
 SELECTMEN OF NEW CANAAN. 
 
 Isaac Richards, June 1801, (time of organization) to December 
 1801, continued to 1810, 1819, 1820. October, 1821, 1822. 
 
 Joseph Seely, June 1801. December 1801, continued to 1804. 
 
 Isaac Benedict, December 1805, continued to 1813, except 1811, 
 re-elected 1812 and continued to 1817. 
 
 Jesse Richards, December 1805, continued to 1807. 
 
 Enos Weed. 1808, continued to 1811. 
 
 Nathan Seely, 1811. 
 
 Samuel Boult. 1811. 
 
 David Stevens, 1812, continued to 181G. 
 
 James T. Ells, 1814. 
 
 Jonathan B. Benedict, 1815, 1816, 1810, 1820. October 1821, 
 continued to 182(5, 1882, 1833, 1834. 
 
 Aaron Comstock, 1817, 1818. 
 
 Ebenezer Hanford, 1817, 1818. 
 
 Ebenezer Crofut, 1817, 1818. 
 
 Stephen Hoyi, 1819, 1820, October 1821 continued to 1831. 
 
 Seth Weed, 1823, continued to 1831. 
 
 Eliphalet St. John, 1820. 
 
 Holly Hanford, 1827, continued to 1832. 
 
 Joseph SiUiman, 1832. 
 
 Hezekiah St. John, 1833, continued to 1839. 
 
 Hanford Davenj^oi-t. 1833, 1834.
 
 57 
 
 Watts Comstock, 1835, continued to 1843, 1845, 1848. 
 Hauford ^Carter, 1835, continued to 1841, 1843, 1844, 1846, to 
 1848. 
 
 Daniel Bostwick, 1840, continued to 1842. 
 
 Samuel Hoyt, 1842. 
 
 John Raymond, 1843, 1844. 
 
 James Pattison, 1844. 
 
 Hezrou L. Ayres, 1845, 1846. 
 
 Charles Raymond, 1845, 1847, 1857, 1858. 
 
 Alfred Raymond, 1846, 1852, 1853, 1854, 1855. 
 
 Caleb S. Benedict, 1847. 
 
 Andrew Benedict, 1848, continued to 1852. 
 
 Thomas Raymond, 1849. 
 
 Uzal Husted, 1849. 
 
 Sylvanus Seely,.1850. 
 
 John Warren, 1850. 
 
 Burling D. Purdy, 1851, 1871, 1872, 1874, 1875, 1876. 
 
 Stephen Hoyt, 1851. 
 
 Peter Smith, 1852, contimied to 1860. 
 
 William L. Waring, 1853, continued to 1876. 
 
 Samuel C. Silliman, Jr., 1856. 
 
 Nehemiah E.Weed, 1859, continued to 1863. 
 
 David B. Hoyt, 1861. 
 
 George Lockwood, 1862. 
 
 Ira P. Davis, 1863. 
 
 Benjamin Hoyt, 1864, continued to 1870. 
 
 Andrew K. Comstock, 1864, continued 1867. 
 
 Samuel K. Lockwood, 1868, continued to 1875. 
 
 Joseph F. SiUiman, 1873. 
 
 Thomas M. Faii-tv. 1876.
 
 OBITUARY. 
 
 In accordance with the wish of some of the citizens of New Ca- 
 naan, an editorial, from the Stamford Advocate, embodying the 
 formal expression of the public sentiment in regard to the death of 
 Prof. St. John, resolutions adopted, etc., has been included in this 
 pamphlet : 
 
 NEW CANAAN'S IRREPAKABLE LOSS. 
 
 DEATH OF ONE OF HER FOREMOST CITIZENS AND BEST BELOVED SONS — 
 
 PROF. SAMUEL ST. JOHN NO MORE PEACEFUL END OF A NOBLE AND 
 
 BEAUTIFUL LIFE PUBLIC DEMONSTATIONS OF RESPECT AND SORROW. 
 
 Verv rarely does the loss of a citizen occasion such a deep and 
 heartful sorrow— such a wide-spread and universal sense of be- 
 reavement in any community as the death of Prof. Samuel St. John 
 does in the town of New Canaan. It is another proof that real 
 goodness— real nobiUty of character— will compel a recognition in 
 every class of society, and when such a man is taken away there is 
 no exception to the general sorrow, and the humble, the proud, the 
 poor, the rich, the vulgar, the refined, the reckless and the thought- 
 ful—all unite, for a time at least, in one common bond of mutual 
 grief. WeU is it for those on whom the lesson makes a permanent 
 impression— who are able to grasp the full meaning of such a life, 
 and who resolve to make it a model for their own. Dr. St. John 
 was loved in New Canaan as few men are loved in any community. 
 Born a native of the village, he ever regarded New Canaan as his 
 home no matter how far away circumstances led him in the active 
 labors of his life. New Canaan was the scene of his childish and 
 youthful memories, and in his riper years, when circumstances per- 
 mitted, New Canaan was his chosen and permanent home. He 
 was known and beloved by everybody in the town, young and old 
 ahke. He was a warm friend of every project having for its object 
 the good of the town, and devoted his time, talents and means to 
 promote its interests. He was a true patriot, loving his country
 
 60 
 
 and her institutions with all loyal afiection, but his scholarly and 
 philosoi)hical mind — his broad intellectual culture, " rich ^^'ith the 
 spoils of time," and with the results of his own keen obsei*vation 
 and orij:;inal research in the domain of science and learning — 
 made him more than wilhng to keep aloof from active connection 
 with the management of pai-tizan stmggles. 
 
 We cannot, however, here and now give anything like a compre- 
 hensive analysis, or pay an adequate tribute to the character of one 
 who for his profound learning, useful life labors, and noble exam- 
 ple of unseltishness and integiity was an honor, not only to New 
 Canaan but to the state of Connecticut, which has lost many better 
 kno^vn citizens in the last ten years, but none of more solid attain- 
 ments or more real worth. We must jjroceed to give a brief 
 sketch of his history fi-om the too scanty data we have been able to 
 obtain. Samuel St. John was born in New Canaan, ]March 29, 
 1813, and was therefore in his 68d year at the time of his death. 
 He graduated at Yale college in the class of 1834. In 1838 he ac- 
 cepted an appointment as Professor of Chemistry, Minerology and 
 Geology in the "Western Resel'^•e college, at Hudson, Ohio, in which 
 office he remained until 1851. He was Princii:»al of the Cleveland 
 Seminary for young ladies, fi-orn 1852 till 185(5, and dm'ing this 
 time was Professor of Chemistry and Medical Jurispiaidence in the 
 Cleveland Medical College. In 185{) he was ajipointed Professor 
 of Chemistry and Medical Jurisprudence in the college of Physi- 
 cians and Surgeons in New York city. This position he held until 
 his death. "When appointed to the New York college he made his 
 home in his native \Tillage, and continued to take an active interest 
 in all enterprises undertaken for the benefit of the place. He was 
 one of the first and best friends of the New Canaan raih-oad. He 
 became president of the company, and to him is gi'eatly due the 
 success of the entei'prise. One of his last conspicuous pubhc ser- 
 vices was the writing of a "Histoiy of New Canaan," which he read 
 at the celebration of the centennial Fourth of July, and which, when 
 printed, will be an endumig memorial of his interest in New 
 Canaan and its people as well as of his literary skill. In 1835, Dr. 
 St. John visited Europe in company with Dr. Parker. He went to 
 Eiirope a second time, and once more, in 1873, visited the Vienna
 
 61 
 
 Exposition in company with his son and daughter. His last sick- 
 ness began about three weeks ago, and was the cvilmination of a 
 kidney disease which had long troubled him. His death took 
 place at half past six o'clock, on Saturday morning, September 9th. 
 
 PUBLIC DEMONSTRATIONS OF SORROW — THE FUNERAX. 
 
 As soon as the death was announced to the public the flags in the 
 village were placed at half-mast. The locomotive and cars of the 
 New Canaan railroad were draj)ed in mourning. A pubhc meet- 
 ing was called on Monday morning in the Congregational chm-ch, 
 to give some formal expression to the 2:)ublic sentiment. Mr. N. 
 W. Hoyt was chairman, and Hon. W. E. Kaymond, secretary. 
 On motion of VViUard Parker, Jr., a committee was appointed to 
 draft resolutions suitable to the occasion. This committee consis- 
 ted of Messrs. WiUard Parker, Seymour Comstock, D. S. Rockwell, 
 W. L. Waring and Rev. Joseph Greenleaf. Dr. Willard Parker 
 addressed the meeting, giving a succinct history of his acquain- 
 tance with the deceased, and paying a just tribute to his memory. 
 In the course of his remarks he said . "I don't say I have never 
 seen a greater man in the jirofession, but taking him all and aU I 
 have never known a greater and better man than Samuel St. John." 
 The committee reported the following resolutions, which were 
 adopted unanimously: 
 
 Whereai<, We have learned with sincere sorrow of the death of 
 our late citizen. Professor Samuel St. John ; and 
 
 Whereai^, In all that related to the welfare of this town he was 
 ever a zealous co-worker, giving liberally not only of his means, 
 but of the best labors of his life ; and 
 
 WhereciK, From his readiness to impart to others of his unusual- 
 ly extensive and varied store of scientific knowledge, he has done 
 much to elevate the standard of education among us ; and 
 
 Whereas, From his high sense of right, active benevolence, and 
 strict regard for all that was honorable, he has set an example of 
 Christian living well worth imitation ; therefore be it 
 
 Resolved, That in his death this town has lost a devoted and 
 honored citizen. 
 
 Resolved, That as a tribute to his memor}-, we recommend that 
 the various places of business be closed at the hour of his funeral 
 and that the bells of the churches be tolled.
 
 62 
 
 Resolved, That a copy of these resolutions be sent to the family, 
 and published in the STA>rFORD Advocate and Xokwalk Gazette, and 
 also that the Town Clerk be requested to place a copy of them 
 among the records of the town. 
 
 W1L1.ARD Parker, Jk., Chairman. 
 Seymour Co:\istock, | 
 
 D. S. KOCKWELL, I /-. i. 
 
 T r^ - Committee. 
 
 Jos. CtREENLEAF, ] 
 
 Wm. L. Waking. J 
 
 In seconding the resolutions Mr. O. E. Bright made a brief ad- 
 dress which was recognized as both timely and touching by all 
 present. His remarks were substantially as follows : 
 
 Mr. Chairman : — I could not add am-thing to Dr. Parker's touch- 
 ing tribute ; but my intercuui'se with Dr. St. John during the past 
 four years, and the testimony which I have heard from those who 
 have always known him. lead me, with your permission, to say a 
 few words. 
 
 The people of New Canaan could not fail to take special notice 
 of the death of Dr. St. John, for they have lost not only a valued 
 and respected neighbor, but a citizen who Avas an ornament alike 
 to his profession, and to the state, and to society. 
 
 He was distinguished as a physician and he excelled in science, 
 and our pride in him for these things would prompt us to com- 
 memorate his life. But I take it that the sense of a great loss, 
 which pervades the community, springs principally trom our ap- 
 preciation of his character. It is his persontil qualities, developed 
 and exliibited in his life here, that we now recall, and that we shall 
 ever regard as our peculiar treasure. 
 
 AYhen we recognize integTity we consciously regard its possessor 
 with very high respect. But when we speak of Dr. St. John's in- 
 tegrity, we think of it as one of the strong traits of his nature that 
 must have commenced its development with his earliest intelli- 
 gence, and that grew with his intellectual strength through all the 
 yeai"s of his life, and gave direction and tone to eveiT action. He 
 exhibited at idl times the humihty of tme moral greatness, and yet 
 we could obsene in him a noble pride springing from the habitual 
 integrity of his purposes. 
 
 \V ho is there in this community that has not at some time been 
 benetitted and guided by his wise and gentle counsel V In personal 
 matters, in social aftau's, in pubhc measvu-es, his inliuence was al- 
 ways beneficent and strong. 
 
 He was remarkable as a teacher. By patient and clear exposi- 
 tion and illustration he imparted knowledge to his fellow men. 
 He unfolded the wonders of astronomy and the secrets of chemis-
 
 63 
 
 try ; and what is best of all, he helped to make the great truths of 
 science serviceable to men in theii* daily avocations. "We cannot 
 overestimate the value — the greatness of the office of a teacher. 
 This was part of the mission of the Divine Master in His days up- 
 on earth, and how reverently men speak of Him as the Great 
 Teacher. 
 
 Dr. St. John felt a deep interest in the welfare and history of 
 New Canaan, and when a social or a family occasion, or a public 
 commemoration, needed the pen and the voice of a gTaceful histori- 
 an. Dr. St. John came to every one's thought. And how clear and 
 just was his narrative, and how beautiful and tender were his remi- 
 nisences. 
 
 In every relation his influence was for good. The constant im- 
 pulses of his nature were towax'ds truth and \*irtue and culture, 
 and we all felt, and will gratefully remember, that he was in the 
 highest and best sense of the term a scholar and a gentleman. 
 
 It is impossible to contemplate his death without sadness. He 
 has been removed from a wide sphere of usefulness, and family ties 
 of singular strength and tenderness have been broken. But with 
 this painful reflection comes the thought of the endless joys in the 
 future life of which his truth and his purity and his faith were the 
 sure pledge. 
 
 Let us remember, too, how precious in all the future history of 
 New Canaan will be the memory of his life and example — the mem- 
 ory of a life spent in the sincere discharge of duty to God and to 
 men . 
 
 The funeral services took place in St. Mark's Episcopal church, 
 (of which deceased was a member and Warden of the Vestry,) on 
 Monday, and brought out the largest attendance ever known at a 
 funeral in New Canaan. The services were conducted by the rec- 
 tor, Kev. Mr. HaUam, assisted by Rev. Chas. Selleck, of Norwalk, 
 and a young minister from the city. During the ceremony the 
 stores and factories in the \Tllage were closed and business entire- 
 ly suspended. The church was beautifully and elaborately draped 
 with appropriate emblems. The employees of the raih'oad sent a 
 broken column made of flowers, and the members of Mr. St. John's 
 Sunday school class contributed a beautiful wreath surrounding 
 the motto : "Our Teacher." The list of pallbearers was as follows : 
 Dr. Parker, S. Y. St. John, N. W. Hoyt, A. K. Comstock, Stephen 
 Hoji;, W. G. Webb, A. S. Comstock, F. E. Chichester, S. E. Keeler, 
 A. F. Jones, B. D. Purdy and F. E. Weed.
 
 64 
 
 At a meeting of the Vestry of St . Mark's Church, held Sept. DO, 
 1870, the following i-esolutions were unamimously adopted : 
 
 liesolcrd, That we, the Kector, Warden and Vestry of St. Mark's 
 Chiu-ch, having heard with profound sorrow of tlie death of Prof. 
 Samuel St. John of this jilace, on tlie 9th of Sept. ISTO, and having 
 united in the public demonstrations of respect to his memory, avail 
 ourselves of the first convenient opportunity to express our recog- 
 nition of the great loss to this church, of which he was a member 
 and Junior Warden, and to whose interest he was zealously devo- 
 ted, and while we can no more have his presence in the house of 
 prayer, or nis counsel in business meetings, we have in his faithfvd 
 discharge of his christian and official duties, an example worthy of 
 imitation. 
 
 The clerk is requested to send a copy of this resolution to the 
 members of his family, with the assvu'ance of oiu" deep sympathy 
 with them in theu* bereavement. 
 
 Resolved, That the Clerk of this boai-d and the Clerk of the Par- 
 ish be requested to enter the foregoing upon their respective re- 
 cords. 
 
 A true copy as appears of record, 
 
 NOAH W. HOYT, Clerk.